Sometimes I find myself with some apples, well I mean a few more apples than I may know what to do with. And I hate the thought of them going bad and ending up in the compost. I want to be able to use them for something. Well luckily there is a nice quick and easy desert that you can make, the Apple Crisp!
Don’t worry, this doesn’t take the skills of a French trained pastry chef or the concentration of a Jedi. If you have some basic skills and knowledge and an hour of time you can easily have a hot tasty treat. As far as where I came across this apple crisp recipe, I got it from my mom.
What tools do you need
- Apple Peeler & Corer (This device makes it go by really quick: Johnny Apple Peeler by VICTORIO VKP1010, Suction Base)
- 2 quart oven safe baking dish
- Mixing bowl
What Foodstuffs you need
- 5 cups of sliced and peeled apples
- About 3 TBSPs of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of rolled oats
- ½ cup of packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 TSP of ground nutmeg, cinnamon (& optional ginger)
- ¼ cup butter
What to do with it all
- Preheat your oven to 375 F
- You’ll start by spreading your apple slices evenly in your baking dish. Then you will need to sprinkle the granulated sugar over them as evenly as possible.
- In your mixing bowl you want to combine the oats, brown sugar, flower and spices. After that you will need to add in the butter working it until it looks like coarse crumbs. I find that my hand is the best thing to use to mix it all in. Once you get it where you want it sprinkle it over the apple slices.
- You will want to bake it in your oven at 375 F for 30 to 35 minutes. When it is done the fruit will be tender and the topping will be golden. Oh, and it will smell amazing!
I like to have a scoop of the apple crisp and a scoop of vanilla ice cream in a bowl as the crisp is fresh out of the oven. This should get you about 6 servings….you know, if you feel like sharing some.